November 2, 2012

Day 2 - Meeting "For Real"

There's something about coming up with a blog post on a Friday evening that......well it gets tough to decide what to focus on.  The list of things to pontificate on after a week of school gets tough to narrow down.  So I will make it easy on myself and share my thoughts on one of the many times that words have dribbled out of my mouth (or in this case off my fingertips) that made me later say, "Ooops....that's not quite what I meant."

Recently I made a twitter comment to a few of the members of my PLN that I couldn't wait to meet them "for real."  Then I had one of my Tweeps send me a tweet back that said, "Thanks Tom. Look forward to meeting you "for real" at #SLATE2012 ."  And I started to wonder, "did I offend any of my friends by making the statement that somehow our online relationship wasn't real?" 

  

I am hoping not.  These new friends I have made are some of the most important friends of my life. No, we didn't grow up together.  We don't share memories from the playgrounds we ruled as 6 and 7 year old kids.  We didn't go through the painful relationship phase as mixed up hormonal middle schoolers. But some of the friends I have made via Twitter may be responsible for more professional and personal growth than most of my childhood friends could ever claim.  While the years of experiences definitely vary, the bond that I have created with the sharing of learning, experience and common concern, has made a deep impact on me and I and I value them more than many people would even understand.  

So, as I sit here on the couch on a Friday night, watching my twitter feed roll by, taping up boxes for my families move into a new home, and keeping half an ear on one of my favorite movie, "The Book of Eli" while the other ear and a half  stays free for my wife and kids, I think, did your lack of wisely chosen words once again create a rift?  I'm hoping not.  I'm hoping that the close friends of my PLN, are like me.....excited to meet face to face, a new kind of close friend. A friendship that was fostered by the desire to learn from each other. While the majority of our conversations are limited to 140 characters, they are meaningful and important conversations, they are jokes, they are personal, they are filled with hope, excitement, and wishes. And still I look forward to meeting them all face to face, so we can share extended conversations, share even more jokes, and put those incredible minds together in a live, unlimited organic conversation that may go in unknown, unplanned directions.....and then again, maybe it will just be filled with wisecracks, jokes and pokes as we get the chance to relax with friends and unwind from a job that is truly 24/7/365 and under more public scrutiny than politicians.  Yeah, while I have made some really excellent friends, I can't wait to meet them "for real." 

6 comments:

  1. I have always been concerned with choosing the 'right' words (maybe it is the former English teacher deal), so I know that feeling when you're concerned you haven't captured what you mean or considered how it might be interpreted from all angles. I had my first face to face interaction with some members of my PLN at the ISTE Leadership Forum, and I was pretty amazed at how the relationships through Twitter translated to 'real life'. I found that 140 characters at a time you really do get to know one another. My PLN has inspired me to model my own learning to those with whom I interact on a daily basis; can't help but be excited about that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the reply Kate (or Kathy or is it Kathleen?). As you can see, I have a penchant for informality, but I always worry I may cross an unknown boundary. One of the reasons I always prefer face to face meetings is that I have a pretty good sense, when it comes to reading body language, and I can get a better sense of the conversational tone. But like you, I do agree that my twitter relationships have grown strong in our 140 character limit and I still hope to meet you all when the opportunity arises. Especially since that means there's a good chance I am doing some traveling. So jealous of you attending the ISTE Leadership Forum. I am hoping I can find a way to go the ISTE Conference in San Antonio this summer. Many Twitter heroes usually attend that one. I am hopeful.

      Delete
    2. Kathy, it is. Kathleen works, too. Kathleen Ann, however, is usually reserved for my mother if I happen to be in trouble. ;) I was fortunate that my district allowed me the opportunity to go to the leadership forum, and, like you, I'm hoping to go to San Antonio this summer. Thanks for being so willing to share; look forward to meeting you in person, too!

      Delete
  2. Tom,

    I think that this is a strange and new concept for many of us. We are in a profession where it is a requirement that we are good with face-to-face communication. So when we venture into the world of social media and make connections, I think we still yearn to put a name to a face and meet each other in person. I think that desire is natural--at least I hope it is as I feel the exact same way. I enjoy and learn a lot from those that I interact with on Twitter, that doesn't mean that I don't want meet them "for real."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tom,

    Had I used the words "face to face" instead of "for real" you might not have had this angst, but then you wouldn't have had the chance to reflect on this important topic. Similar to what Kathy mentions above, my experience with meeting people "for real" after interacting only previously through social media has been very positive. This summer on our family driving vacation to Arizona, I took time to meet "face to face" two important Twitter friends, Jeremy Macdonald (@MrMacnology) and Adam Truitt (@mountainteacher). With both guys, we had only interacted through Twitter, but sitting down for a live chat was fantastic. Our connection through Twitter was "real" but certainly made even stronger by having a "face to face" experience.

    I know for a fact that Twitter friendships are "real" and I look forward to meeting you "face to face" in just a few weeks. I'll buy you a beer, for real! ;)

    Curt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Curt, I was pretty sure that you were not offended, but the "quotes" did make me ponder my use of the same phrase. I suppose its possible that I am just much more self-reflective than I used to be, but I did also wonder if my use of the term for real had offended anyone else. Not you so much because you seem to have the best sense of humor and confidence, both traits I hope rub off on me. Besides, word is you are buying Beers for everyone with a #WiAmigos shirt......Looking forward to the meeting as well. "For Real!"

      Delete